Monday, May 21, 2007

Global Neighbourhoods Article Response

An article on Global Neighbourhoods about marketing to women caught my eye.
Shel talks about his surprise at how long it has taken for women to spend more online than men. What I liked best about the post was learning that I fit right into the most highly attractive demographic for companies today - especially online companies. Personally eventually going into the Marketing world I hope to use my personal preferences as a basis for consumption desires of the target market I fall into - being a young woman may prove very resourceful in the near future if a company I may be working for wants to know how to best target and satisfy a target market that I fall into.
Shel explains that just as it is taking longer than he thought for blogging to be second nature, so too did it take a while for women & the Internet to collide fully.
The buying power of women online is rising. I still did not understand fully from the article whether or not sales of consumer products online has outnumbered computer sales online. But regardless, young women have become the most attractive target market for online retailing & to me, this makes sense - women do typically have a lot of purchasing power within the home and now this influence is moving online. It seems that the most successful companies will recognize this fact & take it into account in starting up a business or in deciding on the appropriate product offering mix. And that is bizarre with the Amazon connection - is that true?! Wow.

No comments: