Monday, May 21, 2007

2nd post on class material

In class on May 2nd, we discussed digg.com & its influence on the world of news and http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifmedia. I particularly enjoyed the CNNMOney.com article, "How Digg.com is democratizing the news."
I thought it was really cool to read about digg.com - I didn't know anything about it previous to reading this article & class discussion about 'digg' but now that we have talked about it - I started noticing some webpages when I was doing a research project having a button for "Digg this." I think it is very true & really cool that WE, the consumers, basically control the content - especially on sites like Digg.com. It makes sense, I mean why not have news websites geared toward the content that people actually want to see and read.
This actually reminds me of a music website that my friend at work recently introduced me to - it is called Pandora and you can find it here. You should definitely check it out because it is basically a Digg.com version of Internet radio. How it works is that you basically enter a search and add artists or songs that you are interested in. Pandora then begins to play music based on your initial clues and preferences. From there, as each song comes up, you can choose to give it a "thumbs up," indicating that you like it & want to hear more music similar, or bury that choice & give it a negative rating, telling Pandora not to play that song or artist or music type, etc. again.
Basically you use your preferences to refine an Internet radio station that caters to your desires based on your ratings and commands.
Pandora + Digg.com = how cool! WE are in charge.

No comments: