Monday, May 21, 2007

Diva Marketing Blog Response

So being that one of my majors here at UD is marketing - one of Toby's posts caught my eye about the American Marketing Associations proposed new definition of marketing.
The best part about this blog post is the responses to it - with which I 110% agree! The new proposed definition is ridiculous & I hope someone from the AMA comes across Toby's blog & the comments that go along with it. The new definition they were proposing is LONG, boring, wordy, etc. - and focuses on institutions - ironically everything that marketing is not!
Being a potential candidate for the marketing world I do NOT want to see that as the definition of what I am doing - the 2004 version is much better which discusses the "delivering of value to consumers" and I like what other bloggers suggested about 'listening to consumers,' and 'delivering the right product at the right time...' and also basically defining marketing as learning what your consumers desire and then matching those needs or showing them that you are able to match them. Much simpler, to the point & realistic. I do not believe that someone in the world of marketing willingy wrote AMA's proposed 2007 definition of marketing - it just does not seem feasible to me.
Anyway, I think it's way cool how Toby posts information that she saw/heard/gathered, etc. and then opens it up to her readers for comments, their opinions, etc. It's such a cool community-building experience.

2 comments:

Toby said...

Sharon - thanks for continuing the conversation on your blog. I know that some AMA people pop into Diva Marketing and am hoping too that they read the feedback from so many smart marketers.

I would love if you would include your thoughts in the comment section of the post. I think it's important for marketers (and AMA) to hear from people who are about to enter the profession. If you don't want to comment on Diva perhaps you'll let me quote you?

Sharon said...

I totally agree & yes, it is definitely ok to quote me! They need to hear this feedback for sure.
Thanks for the comment! =)