Friday, March 23, 2007

Bloglines Article Response #1

So I just read an article that I got through Slashdot. It was called "12-step program for e-mail addiction stumbles" by Paul McNamara. Anyway, it caught my eye because sometimes I do consider myself an e-mail addict! I feel that I check it compulsively, and go out of my way to find a computer if I am out & about all day. It is good to keep yourself up to date on what is going on, but I mean c'mon..sometimes I take it a little too far. Now that I have started blogging and realized that Facebook is essentially a blog, or at least an online community for sure, I realize how addicting all of these things can be - because I, along with the rest of the college students out there, am definitely a facebook/e-mail junkie & addict. But obviously, we are not the only ones.
Anyway, Paul's article was basically commenting on a 12-step process put together by an executive coach named Marsha Egan. And I am not going to lie, I totally agree with Paul that the process is a sham! I actually think that it is not really directed at people who compulsively check their e-mail, but rather would help someone cut back the amount of time the spend with their e-mail. For example, she suggests ways to keep your inbox neat & organized, and has a lot of suggestions about creating folders, and sending concise e-mails. None of which will help myself or the rest of the people out there who just can't stop checking our e-mail! Anyway, I guess she tried . . .
Maybe she just doesn't understand what it truly means to be a slave to your inbox...and here are the rest of us, stll checking. But hey, there are WAY worse addictions & for now, if I am a little hooked on e-mail & Facebook, I'd say I am doing just fine.

No comments: